Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Module 9- Social Networking

I found this video that helped me understand the meaning of social networking in plain English.




Scootle- Is a great way to share educational ideas and resources with other teachers. In education we spend most of our time trying to come up with new and exciting lesson ideas (that someone else has done 5 times before) Why recreate the wheel when we can share our ideas.

Second life- I had trouble creating an account on second life. I will have to try again later. However I do understand what the concept is. It sounds fun. Its like creating your own video game. I can imagine the children would love, love, love doing this. I really like the video on the Web 2.0 myclasses page explaining how to put an educational spin on Second life.

Facebook- I love facebook. In Australia I have my Mum, sister and brother. The rest of my extended family lives overseas. I have been using facebook for many years. It is a great way to keep in contact with my extended family. Share photos, videos. Invite people to parties, Send messages, instant chat with people, even run a farm..lol
Me being a photo person I really love the 'tag this photo option' If your friends put photos of you on facebook you can tag yourself in the photo and that photo then goes into your facebook profile. You can tag friends as well. Lots of fun! Teachers... be careful to set photos and comments etc on private if you don't want students or parents to find you on facebook and read them!

Twitter
- I got really into twitter for a while, but then got a little bit bored because not many of my friends were on it and I didn't really know what to write. How many people really want to know that I am watching TV or having chicken for dinner? Facebook can also do exactly what twitter does using 'status updates'. For me facebook works better because all my family and friends are on it. If I updated my status on twitter.... maybe....5 people might see it. I do see the value of it as a form of social networking and keeping in touch with friends. (If you are friends with lots of people on twitter)

No comments:

Post a Comment